Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A girl could dream

Just recently, a good friend of mine, Melissa, from high school got married to her boyfriend of 10 years, Paolo, who was also a schoolmate but 2 years our senior.

I’ve seen them since the day they became friends up to the time they realized that it was no longer just friendship – they discovered to have romantic feelings towards each other.

I remember we were in sophomore, we joined Girl Scouts of the Philippines. Every camping, the Boy Scouts would join us. It was really fun. We learned a lot and enjoyed every activity we had. Soon, the closeness began between the two groups. We would hang out after school at my place, and the closeness became more intense. It was a cater-cousin kind of relationship. Some discovered mutual likeness with each other, until it blossomed to a beautiful puppy love affair.

But the kind of fondness Melissa and Paolo found within themselves was different from the rest. When everybody was breaking up and falling apart, they remained strong, we envied them. Yes, including me. I have lusted and longed for a perfect relationship because seeing them as a couple made me realize that fairy tales could happen in real life. Maybe not with a white horse trotting my way, but sure there is a charming prince in the picture, professing his love for me.

Sometimes, I would find myself looking out the window as if I was being directed to pose for a music video, daydreaming my knight in shining armor would throw a pebble to catch my attention. I could hear him hollering my name, begging to be heard. Though even before I could declare what I feel inside, I’m pulled back to reality. It was just one too many regular days in my life where I just stay by the window watching everyone pass me by. The pebbles thrown in my direction were just thick raindrops falling on the roof rolling down the window… and well, my name being called? It was just an imagination.

But then again, a girl could dream.

To this day, I’m still in my long search of the very man who will sweep me off my feet. In a string of bad breakups, I have mastered the art of solitariness. But you know, at some point it will hit you hard, and you fancy having a companion --- a partner.

He will come I know. The right time may not be nigh, but it will. Until then, I will take pleasure in other things the world is offering me. So when Prince charming and I cross paths, I will be ready for him right off the reel. It will then be perfect. Just like the movies. There is a happy ending.
allvoices

No comments:

Post a Comment